Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Happy Election Day

Today is Election Day.  I stole this picture from one of the JV's.  I didn't vote in Alaska, I sent in my absentee ballot about a month ago (or at least it feels like a month ago).  The Cultural Center is a polling place so lots of people have been coming in today.

Cucuklillruunga means "I voted", coming from the root "cucuke-" meaning to choose or to prefer.

I took the library's copy of the Yup'ik dictionary and checked out some picture books because I have decided that I'm going to learn Yup'ik and stop being whiny about it.  My friend Rachel made a good point, saying that I didn't know Spanish the first time I looked at it.  So I'm going to do what I did with Latin, which is to read a passage, write it out, and then translate it using the dictionary; while also listening to my Yup'ik phrase CD and learning a phrase or word per day.

The first book I am reading is about marine animals, so if I ever get to the Sea Life center in Seward I might be able to talk about the animals in Yup'ik :)

No comments:

Post a Comment