Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Iditarod Trail & Other Stuff

Well I've been on the phone with people from Toksook Bay lately and it looks like I will be out there the 16th and the 17th to meet with community members and artisans and crafters in the area, help out one of the advisors from the college, and help people with Silver Hand permits if they want.

I need to write several articles for this week so that is today's goal along with finishing proof-reading and submitting our application for a Summer Associate VISTA.

I'm still taking my Inter-ethnic Communications class and have been taking online webinars and courses in things relating to VISTA and ones from the Small Business Administration.

Right now there are students from the Lower Yukon and Lower Kuskokwim school district schools here for a high school to college transition program.  They've been having guest speakers come to the Cultural Center and they are also staying in the dorm so I get to see them pretty much all day!  I was asked to speak to them about AmeriCorps and VISTA.  I really hate speaking in front of people, but when someone invites you to speak here you don't say no.

I'm also still obsessively following the Iditarod.  Right now they are about 400 miles or so into the race.  Most of the mushers seem to be around the McGrath-Ophir area.  Here is a map of the trail this year with some of my own doodlings:





No comments:

Post a Comment