Monday, March 11, 2013

The Search for Musk Ox

Today I went to a lecture at the Northwest Campus on musk ox!  The presenter is a biologist who has studied musk ox all over the state, primarily in the arctic regions.  I was so exhausted that I kept on accidentally falling asleep (the lights being dim didn't help either) and then waking up startled because I didn't know I was sleeping or for how long.  The presentation was really interesting though and I learned a lot!

After the presentation we went on a search for musk ox!  Nome is pretty spread out, and we drove a ways out of the main part of town to look at some of the local musk ox herds' favorite hangouts.  We saw two different groups and about 40 musk ox all together!  It was so cool!  I didn't get good pictures because they were kind of far away, but I tried to take a picture through the scope that we were looking through.

Those lumps are blurry musk ox!

That group of dots on the mountainside are a group of musk oxen!

The group looking through the scope at the critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment