Monday, December 17, 2012

Hooper Bay Take 3

Sunrise ~11:00 am over the vast tundra
On Saturday I flew out to Hooper Bay for the day for their Holiday Bazaar that I helped organize.  Part of my position as a VISTA here is to help set up public markets (e.g. craft fairs, Saturday Markets, etc) in area villages, so I accomplished one of my goals!

The whole trip was your typical Megan mess, and I've told the story too many times to write it down here, but I will say that I did not end up flipping a car, losing the dogs, missing the plane, get there late, fall out of the plane, or lose my wallet for that long. Let's just say that my day could have been a LOT worse :)


In the middle is the plane I took to get there (Cessna caravan), supplies on the right in boxes, and that little black thing on the left?  My wallet. 

After all the excitement at the airport and waiting waiting waiting for my plane to leave, we got to land the "fun" way, which is by coming from the Bering Sea side!  The runway is so close to the Bering Sea it looks like you could land on it.  Unlike when I went earlier this year, the Bering Sea now has some ice on it and the shore is covered with blocks of ice pushed up and smashed together.

I didn't take a lot of pictures at the actual market (which was pretty silly), but here is one of Mark from KYUK interviewing Sarah, one of the vendors.
A beading project that Henrietta was working on
Although the Holiday Bazaar was way smaller than Bethel and Anchorage's Saturday Markets, people seemed excited about it and vendors were looking forward to having more events like it.  I'm hoping to make it out again in March for their dance festival & craft fair that they want to hold at the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment