Saturday, July 28, 2012

Alfred Hitchcock & Dinner

Last night, three of us had girls night over a friends house.  The theme was "local foods" and we had moose burgers, food from the local farm and from the organic food shipments we get, and you guessed it:



Salmon.  Anne brought crackers, greek yogurt, and lox that she had made (Andi provided the basil).  Delish.

We talked about birds a lot (including the Alfred Hitchcock movie) because Andi and her husband have birds of prety, and because we were talking about ravens a lot.  Another friend of theirs is opening up a quilt shop, named "Raven Fabrics".  In September there is an auction called the "Steel Salmon and Raven Auction", where local artisans decorate/paint/sculpt a steel salmon or raven form, and then auction them off to raise money for scholarships.

I got the salmon part, but I could not understand why everyone here was obsessed with ravens.  Weren't they just crows?

No.

Ravens are huge.  And scary.  And I don't have any pictures of them because everytime I see one fly I fall out of my seat.  They are the size of hawks, and like most western Alaskans prefer wilder areas.

I also have to decorate one for the auction, so if anyone has any ideas let me know!

1 comment:

  1. How many different ways can you prepare Salmon?

    U.M.

    ReplyDelete