Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Out on the Tundra and Berry Picking with the Dogs

Today I decided to take all the puppy dogs out on the tundra across the street.  I brought the two little ones out first, and then noticed that there were salmonberries and blueberries, so when I brought them back in and grabbed the big dog I grabbed a ziploc to put berries in.

Walking in tundra is very difficult, especially after it rains.  It's wet and soft and deceiving.  You may think you are stepping on firm ground, but then you sink down a few inches, or step into water!

Little dogs Snickers and Sea Biscuit on the tundra!

:)

The tundra is covered in berry bushes.  Sometimes you have to walk through them as if they were grass.

These are what salmonberries look like.  I haven't found too many of them (just two ripe ones today and one that wasn't ready yet)

Ruffian hanging out in the tundra cotton

Laying down in a field of tundra cotton after running through the tundra with the dogs.  This part wasn't anything special to lay down in because it was firmer than some other parts, but the really spongy, wet mattress stuff is so nice to sit in. 
I didn't get a whole lot of berries because it was kind of swampy where I was.  I'm going to try to go pick soem in the tundra behind the college tomorrow!

Living off the tundra...life is good!  Salmon in the freezer, berries in the fridge, just have to find some stuff to  make tea out of!!

No comments:

Post a Comment