Monday, July 23, 2012

Prices in Bethel AK

I had heard about this before, but nothing beats actually seeing it with your own eyes.  Here are some pictures of prices I took in the two grocery stores:


Note that this is Kirkland brand and is in the cartons that are more square so you can stack them easier.  $6.99 for a gallon of milk is lower than it has been in the past.

On sale!

Ooo a sale!

The outside of one of the stores
The droughts in the midwest have been devastating to farmers this year who depend on their crops to make a living.  I think that devastation is going to be felt up here, too, more than it would back home, in the form of food price increases.

I can't help but get a little defensive over things like this.  I'm starting to feel very protective over my new homeland.  I had no idea that prices were this high.  I mean, how can people afford to live when it costs so much to eat?  And to be honest, no one in the Lower 48 cares that much about Alaska.  We have bumper stickers that talk about polar bears and stopping the pipeline (not saying they aren't issues), but not once did I ever hear anyone talk about the price of milk.

1 comment: