Saturday, July 21, 2012

Arrival

I am so happy to be in a bed and not in an airport right now.  After traveling for over 24 hours it's nice to be here.  My site supervisors are very nice and have taken good care of me already. 

Flying was interesting, and I wasn't sure if I'd make it out of the Anchorage airport.  After waiting for an hour and a half on the plane, the morning flight was cancelled due to weather/visibility.  The afternoon flight to here had more people on it, and they announced that there might be a chance that we could not land due to visibility.  Apparently one of the bigger and longer runways is closed, so landings have to be near perfect in order to make it on the smaller and more narrow runway.  The clouds looked more like snow, and we didn't see much (if any) land at all.  We went to go land and could see the ground after we broke through the clouds a little bit, but after the plane was preparing to land we had to pull back up because we wouldn't make the runway.  We had to circle aruond for a little bit, but on our second attempt we made it!

I am competely exhausted and off to bed.  More tomorrow!

P.S. 10:30 PM here right now and it looks more like it's 4:00 PM.  I'll figure out the daylight schedules more once I've been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment